Thursday, September 24, 2009

Construction Room Ahead


We are finally starting to settle into a routine around here, with summer activities tapering off and the start of school and soccer. I am also finally getting some stuff done around here! One of the hardest things for me being a SAHM, especially in the summer, is being around and in my house 90% of my time, but not being able to get half the things done around it that I want to accomplish. I get lots of ideas from staring at these same spaces constantly, but with four and five year old boys running around, there is no easy way to get them to become a reality!
Anyway, the first place we have changed a little is my youngest son's bedroom. He has a queen size bed, a fact which makes everyone laugh, but his room was the guest room before he came along, so it already had a bed! We just used what we had! It remained in the room with his crib, which was great when he was still nursing! When he moved into the bed, we had a hard time finding any suitable queen size, kid themed bedding. So my Mom made a duvet from 1 queen flat sheet and some Thomas the Train fabric. He loved it. But he is outgrowing Thomas, and has been asking for new bedding. I love the idea, because I am ready to get away from the character theme. I am OK with a theme in a child's room, but like it better without an actual character involved. He LOVES construction trucks, and we already had some construction-themed pictures, so a theme was born! Without being tied to a character, queen size bedding for kids is slightly easier to find--especially at The Company Store! I found construction truck bedding that isn't cutesy or too young looking. AND, it matches a striped duvet that I already had! Woo hoo!
His current plain blue curtains and blue walls were also acceptable, so the only thing left that didn't fit in was his dresser. His nursery had a nautical theme, and we had used an old dresser of my husband's that I painted with a lighthouse and sailboat. You can see what it used to look like here. We aren't able to purchase a new dresser, so I decided to just paint this one again. I had thought about painting it a solid color, like brick red, but then my son asked if he could have a crane on his dresser instead of a lighthouse. How could I say no! I used the pictures from one of his construction books for inspiration, and three hours later, the dresser fit into the room perfectly. He loves it, and I think it will hold us off for a couple years until we can buy him new bedroom furniture. Nothing like using what you have!

1 comment: